The Society for Louisiana Irises, a a cooperating society of the American Iris Society, was organized in 1941. Although the real workers in the Society were few during the early years, an ambitious course was set. Annual meetings…collecting trips to the swamps, and elaborately staged shows were held. Over the years these meetings continued…Many innovations were started, such as a the arrangement with AIS for a top award for Louisiana irises…A milestone was reached in 1993 when the Society for Louisiana Irises became a Cooperating Society of the American Iris Society. Although always cooperating, they are now officially recognized as a part of AIS with a scheduled program at the National Convention.”
The mission of the Society is to promote the use of Louisiana irises as a gardening resource, including education, conservation of species and worthy hybrids, cooperation with other organizations of similar interests, and through hosting an annual convention.
• To promote, foster and encourage the planting and cultivation of Louisiana irises.
• To exchange information among iris growers on culture and breeding of native irises (Lairis@yahoogroups.com) More information at: http://www.louisianas.org/lairis/subscribe.html
• To collect and distribute the best available information on the subject of native irises.
• To encourage investigational work that will have as its object best nomenclature, culture and development of new varieties.
• To assist in obtaining legislation and appropriations for conducting plant science research work.
• To cooperate with existing organizations.
The Society holds at least one annual meeting per year, time and place as arranged by the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors holds at least one annual meeting and as many others as conditions warrant. Special meetings may be calles by the president or upon request of the majority of the Board of Directors.
There are several types of SLI memberships. Listed below are the membership rates/selections. (Please note that membership information is not available here for local and regional societies. Check with AIS Regional VPs or local club leaders for those membership rates. See the Local Iris Societies listings on this website)
You do not need a PayPal account to use this online subscription service. You may use a Visa, MasterCard, or a PayPal account to make your payment. All membership fees are payable in U.S. funds.
You may use the online payment system to purchase a new subscription or renew an existing one. When renewing, if you know your AIS membership number please include it. (It is listed on the address label of your AIS bulletin.)
If you wish to give the SLI membership as a gift please list the recipient’s address as the shipping address and note the gift in the “Special Instructions.” If you wish to make a donation to the SLI in the amount of a subscription, please tell us in the “Special Instructions” box.